Sunday, October 09, 2005

You Can't Stop The Signal

I know everyone has been wondering why in the hell I haven't post my "Serenity" review yet. Would you believe it's because I didn't see it opening weekend? (Wow. The sound of everyone in the Blogverse suddenly fainting is really fucking loud... in my head anyway.) So yeah, I didn't get a chance to see "Serenity" last weekend, but I headed over to The Grove with a friend of mine yesterday to check it out. There are sooooo many things I want to say about this film that I really can't without spoiling it. I will say, I LOVED IT. I LOVED IT. I LOVED IT. It may very well be my favorite film of the year so far. I was a die-hard "Buffy" fan. I loved "Angel" even more. That being said, "Firefly" was Joss Whedon's best show. Joss is an amazing writer. He writes some of the best, quippy dialogue out there. You can't help but love the characters he creates. The repartee between Mal and Jayne is classic and Wash once again steals every scene he's in. You don't have to be a fan of the TV show to go see this film. It helps, but it's not a requirement. In many ways this movie reminds me of the original "Star Wars" film. Nathan Fillion channels Han Solo in several scenes. It's a great story. It's funny and heart-wrenching. It's action-packed and quietly dramatic. This is the movie I had hoped it would be. Joss did not disappoint. He made this film for the fans and we all love him for it. I can't imagine anyone who loved the show disliking the movie. Is this the end for the crew of Serenity or will they fly again? Joss definitely left things open for a sequel, but if that never happens, that's ok. If this film is the end, then it's a great ending... but it could also lead to fantastic new beginnings... Here's hoping we have many more adventures with Mal and his crew of miscreants...

"Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: This is gonna get pretty interesting.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"

Nathan Fillion and Andy Tudyk-- "Serenity"

No comments: