Friday, September 09, 2005

Solar Powered

I've figured out a little secret about Los Angeles. I'm not sure that I'm supposed to share this with the outside world, but I've never been one for following the rules, so here goes. Apparently the whole city is solar powered. Everything. The vehicles. The buildings. The people. Without sunshine it just ceases to function. Since I've been gone so long I must be partially immune and can run under my own power at least for short periods of time. Some sort of weird Atlanta-based battery back-up or something. I got up this morning and my canyon was totally fogged in. I expected that once I got down into the valley things would clear up like they normally do, but such was not the case today. The whole city was foggy and overcast. In response the whole city just slowed down. Traffic moved on the freeway, but at a placid, uncongested rate. People walked down the sidewalk in something of a daze. The woman at the coffee shop forgot to charge me for my mocha and when I offered $$ to her she just looked at me blankly and said not to worry about it. Not one to turn down free caffeine I practically bolted out the door before she came to her senses. Work was dead. The few clients who wandered in seemed to lack the ability to make even the simplest decisions on their own. I felt like I was in some fucked up episode of "The Twilight Zone." Not that I'm complaining. After the crappy day I had on Thursday, a slow Friday was just what I needed. About 2:30 the sun finally decided to show itself and it was like God had flipped a switch. Traffic picked up. More people came into the store and they were happy and organized and looked like they'd just woken up from a good nap. So it ended up being a beautiful day in the City of Angels. This guy Adam that I'm starting to have a thing for, showed up just as I was getting ready to close. I was 1/2 an hour late getting out of the shop, but I honestly didn't care. Adam and I suddenly had lots to talk about and it turns out we have a lot in common. He also brought me a bottle of expensive gin. I like guys who come bearing gifts for no apparent reason other than they were thinking about me and wanted to get me something. He also gave me a really sweet card. I'm so glad I was alone in the store when he showed up though. I briefly turned into a total girl and I would NEVER have heard the end of it if there had been witnesses. I get enough shit aboyt S-boy as it is. Throw Adam into the mix and they would really never let me live it down... of course I suspect I'll be seeing more of Adam in the future so the mocking is bound to happen anyway. Oh well. I can live with that. If the only thing they have to harass me about is the parade of beautiful men populating my life, I can't really complain now can I? Everyone have a fantabulous and beautiful weekend!

"The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so; but we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitoes and silly people" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: