Saturday, September 17, 2005

Danse Macabre

I don't normally work on Saturdays, but my rep who was supposed to work today had a gig come up (she's a drummer) and really needed the day off so I told her I'd cover for her. We're only open from 10-2 on Saturdays so I figured what the hell. Besides, I need to take a 1/2 day off on the 30th so this will make up for that. It also worked out well because Tim Burton's new film, "The Corpse Bride" opened here this weekend, but is only playing at 2 theatres so if I wanted to see it I would have had to go into town anyway... Since this was my first day opening the shop by myself, of course it couldn't go smoothly. For some reason my code for the security alarm (which worked fine when I tested it on Thursday) chose not to work today, so the first order of business was convincing some very cute LAPD officers that I wasn't trying to rob the place and do in fact work there. I guess they decided I didn't look like a criminal because they didn't arrest me and after much ado I finally got the damn alarm to shut off. Most of the rest of the day was quiet. I had like 3 customers between 10:oo and 1:00. Then at about 1:30 the world suddenly showed up. At 2:00 when I was supposed to be closing up I still had 4 people in the shop waiting. So much for me making a 2:40 movie. Oh well. Fortunately one of the people who came by was Adam. I admit that one was my fault. I had e-mailed him earlier in the day bitching about being lonely and bored at work so I wasn't entirely surprised when he dropped by. We had another nice chat... although I was slightly disturbed to realize just how much I had missed not seeing him this past week. My heart did this stupid, girly somersault kinda leap in my chest when he walked through the door. Ladies and gentleman, I do believe I have developed a serious crush on this one. Dammit. When the fuck did that happen? Sigh. What was I saying the other day about being a glutton for punishment? So anywho.... it was ok that Adam ended up being the main reason that kept me from getting to my movie on time. (I must really like him if I'd give up Johnny Depp for him, even if it is an animated Johnny Depp ;) So, it was almost 3:00 when I got out of there and headed over to The Grove. The Grove is this odd place that honestly could really only exist in LA. It was originally the home of the LA Farmer's Market. It still is, but it has morphed into something else as well. It's now also this upscale kinda outdoor shopping mall. So if you're one of those people who needs to buy fresh kumquats at the same time you pick up the new bag from Coach or those new Lucky Brand jeans, then The Grove is the place for you. It also happens to be home to one of the best theatres in the city. Hence the reason "The Corpse Bride" was playing there. (The only other theatre to open it this weekend was at the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica and well, we all know I'm not supposed to go to Santa Monica, so The Grove was really the only place I could go see it.) This post was originally going to be a movie review, but seems to have become just a general recounting of my day. Odd the places my brain goes sometimes... but anyway, back to the movie. I loved it. But then that shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. It's Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. Duh. Is everyone going to like this movie? No. Probably not. Before you go to see it, ask yourself, "Do I love Tim Burton movies?" Then ask yourself, "Did I think "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was an amazing film?" If the answer to either of these questions is not a resounding "YES!" then "The Corpse Bride" might not be the movie for you. It's basically an animated musical with a Tim Burton spin on it. If that sounds like your kind of thing, then you'll totally dig it. I thought it was hip, cool, and fun, but then my world is a little warped so.... well, you get the idea... I then proceeded to get all turned around leaving The Grove and somehow ended up going the wrong direction on La Brea and taking a really convoluted route back to Hollywood to get on the 101. No worries though. At least now I know how to get to the LACMA and I want to go see the King Tut exhibit that's on display there, so it turned out to not be a totally wasted detour... So that was my day... And it was by all accounts a good day... Tomorrow promises to be much less eventful (but hopefully will still be good). I plan to sleep in and do some writing. I also need to do laundry. And wash my car. And I promised Roland I'd take him to PetCo. Ah. The glamorous Hollywood life I lead these days.... hehehe :)

"I would do anything Tim Burton wanted me to. You know - have sex with an aardvark... I would do it." -- Johnny Depp

1 comment:

aklanta said...

Hey, it seems you have had a really interesting day out...loved the narrations...as if I was watching a movie,’ Life and Times ANCALAGON’ Of course, perhaps you could have done some editing before you published. Cut tight, it could have been even more interesting…