Saturday, August 20, 2005

Surf Dog

Roland and I made the trek down to Dog Beach today. It was an interesting trip. I knew Roland liked water since he plays in the river down below the house, but I was curious to see what would happen when he saw the ocean. Honestly though, I was more concerned with how he would react to having a large group of strange people and their dogs around. I've never really had him in any sort of "social" situation before. He gets along fine with the other dogs here at the house, but I was afraid this might be too much for him. I shouldn't have doubted him. He's a goof, but he's probably saner than I am :) The funniest thing was definitely his reaction when he first saw the ocean though. We walked up over a hill and he looked at all that water and he just sat down and stared. Then he looked at me. And then back at the ocean. He then got up and wagged his whole body. He was so excited. It was very cute. I walked him down to the water and he got a little nervous when the first big wave came rolling in, but he soon got over any fear he had and decided that waves are great fun to chase. We had a blast. I kept him on a leash for this trip, but I've never had him not come to me when I called him so I'm sure in the future I'll be able to let him run around with the other dogs. It's all fenced in so unless they plan to paddle to Hawaii, they can't go anywhere. I'm definitely going to try and get back next weekend if I can. It's kinda of a bitch of a drive from here, but it's well worth the time it takes to get there. Whatever it takes to keep the boys in my life happy, dontcha know ;)

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." -- Isaac Newton

No comments: