Sunday, August 21, 2005

Craven A Little Jarmusch

I did the double feature thing at the local multiplex today. First up was Jim Jarmusch's latest,"Broken Flowers." If you're into films like "Sideways" or "Lost in Translation" or "Garden State" then this is the flick for you. It's an indie film with a bigger than indie budget. There's a supporting cast and they are all very good, but this is Bill Murray's movie. He's in every scene and he's outstanding. This is a movie about reconciling your past with your present and the journeys we make to get where we are. It's also about living with the consequnces of your actions. As is the case with most of Jarmusch's films there's a lot going on between the lines. There is a ton of symbolisim; some of it obvious, some much more subtle. I really loved this film. I saw it with an audience of mostly women, but this is a movie (along with "Alfie") that every man I know should see. In a year full of truly bad films, it's especially nice when a quiet little film like this comes along to turn things around... I then snuck in to see to see Wes Craven's newest,"Red Eye." I know. I know. Bad Angie. But after "Cursed" I wasn't feeling too motivated to shell out the $$$ for a Craven film. This film in no way compares to "Cursed." It's amazing what Wes can do with a good story and a decent budget. Rachel McAdams is quickly becoming one of my favorite young actresses. Then there is Cillian Murphy. OMG. I would have paid just to stare into those baby blues of his for an hour and 1/2. He was sooooo creepy. I don't blame Rachel's character in the least for being charmed by him. I would have done exactly the same thing. There's also this really hot guy who plays a bodyguard in a couple of scenes. He was worth the price of admission too... oh wait. I didn't pay to see it. Oh well. That doesn't make him any less yummy :) This is not an award-winning movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a great film none the less, especially for people who love thrillers. It's fun and creepy and action packed. It's also eerily plausible. If you're looking for a good summer popcorn movie, this is the one... It was good to finally get out of my movie going slump. (Not that there's been much to see for the last month or so.) Next week is "The Brothers Grimm" so I see myself spending at least a couple more hours in a dark theatre in the near future.

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed." -- Buddha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

........You know they always save all of their "good" ones for the holiday seasons.....

Angie said...

True enough, but this year has been especially bad so far. If it weren't for the comic adapts (Constantine, Batman, and Sin City) things would have been really dismal... Winter releases do look like they'll be good tho. Lets hope anyway :)