Monday, August 29, 2005

Just Believe

I caught Terry Gilliam's new film, "The Brothers Grimm" on Sunday. I really, really liked it, but I have the feeling I am probably in the minority. It's a very odd movie, but I expect that from Gilliam. Heath Ledger and Matt Damon are both outstanding. This is easily Heath's best role in recent memory. I've always liked him, but he was really a standout in this movie... and we all know how I feel about Matt Damon. I really need to put him on my list... but anyway... This movie is fun and it's totally a Gilliam picture. He expects you to make giant leaps of faith. It's all about suspension of disbelief. Like Heath's character, Jacob, you have to believe in fairy tales in order for the movie to work. You have to believe in Gilliam's vision... and it's quite a vision. The sets are amazing. The story is good, if a little disjointed and chaotic in places. If you like Gilliam's other movies ("Brazil," "The Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen," "Time Bandits," etc.) Then this is a movie for you... If thrillers are more your speed, then I still recommend checking out "Red Eye." It really is a good movie. It manages to be creepy and suspenseful and fun all at the same time.

"Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." -- G. K. Chesterton

No comments: