Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Fire and Ice

So my Iceman was waiting for me when I got in to work this morning. The lab opens at 9:00 but I don't have to be in until 10:30. Traffic was good this morning and I got in around 10:00 though. Those beautiful blue eyes greeted me when I walked in the door. I know I grinned like a fucking idiot when I saw him. I am such a girl sometimes. I hate it when a guy can make me all goofy like this. Did I mention that he's a redhead? Red hair and blue eyes. Not normally the kinda guy I fall for. My usual "type" is more dark and brooding. Think Viggo Mortensen. Think Jude Law. Think Orlando Bloom. Think Johnny Depp. Think Joaquin Phoenix. (Ignore my things for Michael Rosenbaum and Kevin Spacey. They definitely do not fall into the dark and brooding category.) So anyway, back to the Iceman... We went over his test prints and he picked out the finals that he wants. They'll go to print tonight and he has to come pick them up tomorrow afternoon. (Yay! Another reason for him to have to come back!) There were no other clients in the shop and so we just talked for awhile. He then asked, "I don't suppose you're allowed to go out with your customers, are you?" and I told him that it was probably frowned upon and he said, "So I probably shouldn't ask you for your phone number then, huh?" I looked around and made sure my rep who was working the front counter was still back in the lab and then grabbed a business card and scribbled my home and cell numbers on the back and told him that if he ever needed anything he should feel free to call us. I was once again grinning like an idiot. He winked at me and told me he'd be sure to do that. He then said he had to go. He had a call back he had to get to. The rest of the day went by in kind of a blur. At about 6:30 my cell phone started vibrating in my pocket. Guess who? He left me a message and told me to give him a call if I wanted to go have a drink after work. I figured, what the fuck? Why not? I think I could really like this guy given the chance to get to know him. So I called him after I got done for the day and we agreed to meet at "Cafe des Artistes." (Which was really convenient for me. It's literally next door to the deck I park in.) We drank espresso martinis and ate chocolate cake and brioche pudding and just talked. He seems to be really nice. We have similar taste in music and movies. For an actor who has been in Hollywood for awhile now, he does not appear to be too jaded yet. He's funny and fairly down to earth. (Although I still won't be surprised if I find out that he's really a serial killer with his prom date's head wrapped in cellophane in his freezer.) We got along great and I even kept up my end of the conversation pretty well. (Apparently espresso martinis make me much more amusing and talkative than I normally would be on a first "date.") All-in-all I would call the evening a success. He wants to take me to dinner this weekend. I'm feeling inclined to go. I think it'll be fun and it's not like I have any better offers right now. I'm not going to rush blindly and impulsively into anything with this guy though. I've been down that road too many times before and usually it just ends and badly. If he's just looking to get laid, then he's out of luck. I honestly don't think that's the case though. (But maybe it is and I don't want it to be so I'm just being naive and blind. I get that way sometimes when it comes to men. I see what I want to see and it's not until later that I see the warning signs that were there screaming at me all along.) I don't want any drama this time. If things start to get crazy, I'm outta there. I just can't go through anything bad relationship-wise again right now. I need a happy, fun guy to play with. Not some crazed, bi-polar, obsessive, jealous, neurotic. Is that too much to ask? In this town maybe it is. I guess I'm gonna find out. So much for all my talk about not dating an actor, hell about not dating anyone at all. Sometimes I have the will power of a fucking gnat. I must be out of my fucking mind to be doing this... I will have to keep reminding myself to behave though. I did find myself wondering on a number of occasions during the course of the evening whether or not he's a true redhead... I'm about to get myself into a lot of fucking trouble, aren't I?

"Never meddle with play-actors, for they're a favoured race." -- Cervantes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"crazed, bi-polar, obsessive, jealous, neurotic" - aren't you describing yourself there, Ang? you are definitely going to get yourself into trouble with this one. you can't help it. trouble loves you. it follows you wherever you go. it's your curse and wether you want to admit it or not, you love the drama. if you didn't you wouldn't keep putting yourself in these situations. the men who really do want to be with you get cast aside when you get bored with them. if this one really does like you, he won't be any different. you only want what you can't have. you love the chase and once it's over you're never content with your prize. that makes me sad for you because you will never find love or peace until you stop running. you're an amazing woman. you're just a little fucked in the head. i hope this guy caan make you happy. but i don't think he will. i really do miss you and i hope that one day you'll realize what you gave up.

Angie said...

I was going to delete this comment, but changed my mind. He's not wrong. Everything he said was true. I am fucked in the head. That's probably not going to change and the people who want to be part of my life just have to learn to live with that.

Anonymous said...

So much drama in the LBC......