Saturday, August 13, 2005

Achtung! Baby

I'm starting to dread Fridays. The last two have kinda sucked. Yesterday in particular was bad. It started out fine, but ended badly. My stupid puppy, Roland decided to live up to his namesake's reputation and flirt with death a little bit. For those of you who don't know, I named Roland after the gunslinger in Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. At the beginning of the second book, the character is attacked by "lobstrosities"and nearly dies from the poison in their bites. We don't have many poisonous lobsters here in SoCal, but we do have Pacific Diamondback Rattlesnakes. My Roland decided to tangle with one. He took a bite to the face and got hit with a full dose of venom. I was at work, but luckily one of my housemates was at home at the time. He got him to an emergency vet clinic within an hour of it happening. It's a good thing. Ro wouldn't have made it if he hadn't. So he got 2 doses of antivenin, is on IV fluids and antibiotics, and is spending the weekend at the puppy hospital. The vet thinks he will make a full recovery, but I'm not handling having him injured very well. I don't know what I would have done if I'd had to put him down. I would imagine I'd be a basketcase about now. I know I've only had him a few weeks, but I've grown very attached to him already. He's a really great dog. My apartment seems very empty without him. I miss him and am ready to get him back home. Hopefully that'll be tomorrow. And hopefully he's learned his lesson about rattlesnakes. It's proving to be a very expensive lesson. Well, at least the men in my life (even the four-legged ones) are consistent. They're all troublemakers.

"Curiosity often leads to trouble." -- Lewis Carroll - "Alice in Wonderland"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Well, at least the men in my life (even the four-legged ones) are consistent. They're all troublemakers."

I resemble that remark..........no wait.......

Angie said...

Guess I should also have mentioned that they're also all cute and charming and generally worth all the trouble :)