Sunday, July 31, 2005

Weddings and Babies

I did the family thing pretty much all weekend. On Saturday my cousin got married. I admit, I'm pretty cynical when it comes to marriage. I'm not saying I won't ever get married. I very well might. It's just going to take a fan-fucking-tastic guy to talk me into it... either that or it'll be a spur-of-the-moment thing. I'll end up in Vegas some crazy weekend saying, "I do." (Hopefully it'll still be with a fan-fucking-tastic guy though and not just some random lunatic I happened to fall in lust with. That would be bad.) With me, you never know though. My cousin and her new husband are great though. They are the kind of people who should be getting married. They've been together forever, it's obvious that they're madly in love with each other, and I give this marriage a shot at actually working out. They're also both disgustingly attractive people. They'll have beautiful children... Which brings me to the subject of kids. I spent a large chunk of today with my dad, my step-mom, and my 1/2 siblings. My half-brothers, Luke and Bryce, are ok. They're like 5 months old, sleep a lot, and seem like pretty happy babies. My half-sister, Rachael is another story entirely. She is 2 1/2 and is a total brat. She's one of those kids that demand attention and just makes life very complicated for everyone around her. Now if I was assured of having a kid like my nephew Bennett or my niece Morgan then I'd probably be more gung-ho on having a kid of my own, but after spending the day with Rachael I have to say that I'm really happy I have a puppy instead... and I was so proud or Roland today. He put up with Rachael really well. He was very well-behaved and tolerated having his ears pulled and his toys taken away from him, and he never once growled or snapped or did anything that most annoyed puppies would do. He's such a good boy :) My half-sister could take some lessons from him... The weekend proved to be much too short though. Hopefully this week will go by quickly. It should. I expect we'll be pretty busy. Next Saturday I'm going to take Roland to Dog Beach. I can get some sun and he can play in the ocean with the other dogs. It should be fun.

"Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these" -- Susan B. Anthony

No comments: