Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Howl At The Moon

Nothing in my life seems to be simple these days. I know that's largely my fault. I just seem to complicate things without really trying. There are thousands upon thousands of sad little puppies looking for homes in the LA area and the animal shleters are practically paying people to come adopt them. So how come I can walk into a shelter with every intention of getting a nice, normal German Shepherd, or Dalmatian, or Lab and end up picking out the one fucking dog in the place that requires you to get a special permit before they'll let you adopt him? It must just be a talent of mine. So this dog is a wolf hybrid. He's 3/4 grey wolf and 1/4 either shepherd or husky; they aren't sure which. He's this beautiful silver-blue and is just a super sweet dog. He looks like Kevin Costner's wolf, Two Socks in "Dances with Wolves." I really want him and it's so sad to see him just sitting there caged up like that. So now I have to call the California Fish and Wildlife Department to find out about getting an exotic animal permit. I wonder how many hoops I'll have to jump through to pull that off? And I can't even begin to imagine what it'll cost. Still, I'm going to look into it. How fucking cool would it be to have a wolf? I tried to convince the nice lady at the shelter to just call him a shepherd/husky mix and let me take him, but she wasn't going for it. Dammit. They wouldn't let me have the bengal tiger cub they had either. Apparently he was a little too big to pass off as a tabby cat. These government agencies can be so difficult sometimes :) This is a weird fucking state. I guarantee you I would never have found a wolf in a shelter back in Atlanta, let alone a fucking tiger...

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls." -- George Carlin

No comments: