Friday, July 22, 2005

Frothy Chocolatey Goodness

Let's forget for a second that I am borderline obsessed with Johnny Depp. That being said, he is still THE reason to go see "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Yes, I love Tim Burton films and this is very much a Tim Burton film. Yes, I think Freddie Highmore was great as Charlie. And yes, Roy Deep is very entertaining as all the Oompa Loompas. This is still Johnny's film. He is creepy and funny and kooky and weird and just everything you expected him to be in this role. I loved it. The sets were great. The costuming was outstanding. The effects were well done. This is a beloved and well known story so the only question going in was how the cast was going to compare to the Gene Wilder original. The original is still a great film and it was one of Wilder's best performances. This movie rivals it though. They are as different as they are the same. It's hard to say wich one I like better. I lean towards the original, but then I get an image of Depp's Wonka in my head and it just makes me giggle. So I choose not to pick a favorite. I hereby pronounce them equally good. Now, if I could just get that insipid "Willy Wonka" song out of my head....

"Everything here is eatable. I'm eatable, but that my children is called cannibalism and it is frowned upon in most societies." -- Johnny Depp - "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Willy Wonka....Willy Wonka......."

AWWWWW MAN, I JUST got it out of my head!!!!! Thanks alot ;)