Monday, March 21, 2005

Living On The Edge

I think I’ve figured out what it is about Seattle (and LA, and San Fran, and to some extent NYC) that I like so much. It’s the water. I miss the fucking ocean. I’m not a laying out on the beach to get a tan kinda girl, but I still love the sand and the surf and just the natural finality of it all. There is something about living on the very edge of somewhere; a place where you can’t go any further without falling into a watery abyss. I get the symbolism of it. I know why I’m drawn to these places. The dreamer in me loves to look out across the water and wonder what, if anything lies beyond. Is someone like me on the other side? If we had the vision, where would our glances meet? Some cosmic intersection over an expansive blue void? It’s kinda nice to think that might be so. Reassuring in a fucked up sorta way… for me anyway… It rained just about the whole time I was here. This morning it is beautiful, but there are storm clouds swarming in the distance. I don’t care. I’m not a big fan of rainy days, but the rain here was different. It seemed right, not harsh or vengeful or destructive, just natural. I know my general good will toward Seattle is partially an illusion. I had a really great time here and so it was the circumstances of my trip and not necessarily the setting that has put me in my current state of mind. Until tomorrow when I have to trudge back into the office, all is right in my world. I’m sure if I lived here and was a corporate whore at Microsoft or Starbucks or wherever I’d be just as miserable as I am back home in Atlanta… again, circumstances dictating my reaction to my environment. So anyway, I think I need to put a beach on my list of requirements for my next location. Something within driving distance of a major body of water. That being said, watch me get a job offer in Montana or Wyoming or something. I guess I could compromise. Mountains have a similar appeal to me as oceans do. Besides, they have some big ass lakes in Montana. Once you get past the fact that most of the lakes are frozen solid 6 months out of the year, you can pretend it’s the ocean ;) The people at the gate next to me are headed to Oahu. Hawaii would be ok. Lots of ocean to go around and they’ve got fucking volcanoes to throw into the mix. Maybe I need to go visit. You know, just to check it out. Make sure that’s not where my soul really belongs. Maybe my destiny lies in Wai-kiki. I could definitely think of worse places to be drawn to. Don’t I owe it to myself to at least go check it out? A road trip to Hawaii… Hmmmm… Now there’s a thought… Think Delta will let me change my flight? I’d much rather wake up in HI tomorrow having to surf than back in the ATL having to work…

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -- Maya Angelou

No comments: