Tuesday, March 22, 2005

God Bless The Irish

Let’s talk about Irish Car Bombs. (The drink. Not the terrorist activity.) Have you had these? I’m not a beer drinker, so I never in a million years would have tried one had I not been goaded into it by several very cute men. The fact that I’d already consumed 4 or 5 espresso martinis might have had something to do with my willingness to try them too. So I don’t know if there is an “official” Irish Car bomb recipe or not, but the ones I was drinking on Saturday night were ½ a pint of Guinness, a shot of Baileys, and a shot of Irish whiskey. A couple of these and I could barely remember my name, let alone the fact that I was in Seattle, drinking with a bunch of guys I barely know, and that I do not have the ability to play pool. (They at least had the good sense to take the darts away from me. Lot of alcohol and sharp little projectiles do not mix well when it comes to me.) One of the guys attempted to help me with my billiards game and I actually almost won a game with his assistance. He then decided to show me “how a real pool player does it,” and proceeded to run the table. He had the break and the guy he was playing with never even got to play. It was most impressive. Of course I’m always impressed by people who can play this fucking game. I’ve improved some recently, but there’s still way too much math involved. That’s why I only play when I’ve been drinking. Alcohol helps to make me forget that I suck at math. So anyway, a good time was had by all. Any night you can spend in an Irish pub drinking and playing pool with a bunch of friends, I call a night well spent.

"The Irish don't know what they want and are prepared to fight to the death to get it" -- Sidney Littlewood

No comments: