Thursday, February 24, 2005

Barrel Rolls in a 737

4:01 P.M. - Somewhere over Kansas or something - So I finally escaped Oklahoma. It’s really not a bad state and had I just been there visiting, I would not have minded it at all. Everyone has horses. Hell, they keep them in their backyards. Now that’s the kinda place I could live. Of course there are no real jobs there so I’m not sure how I’d live, but those are just details. Since when have I ever been concerned with details? I’m sitting on the plane wondering when technology will get to the point that we’ll have an Internet connection on board. You know it can’t be far off. That would be nifty. Then I could chat with my friends back home to kill some time on the flight. It’s been a bumpy flight thus far. Lots of bad turbulence. The price us humans must pay in order to take to the skies I guess… I finally finished Book 2 of the Dark Tower series. Yippeee. EQ2 has definitely taken a bite out of my reading time. I’ll have to try and work it back into my schedule. I really want to get this whole series read, and I’d like to get it done before Harry Potter comes out in July. At this rate that won’t happen. The last 4 books in the series are really fucking long so I’ll have to pick up the pace if I want to get them done before then… I plan to do very little tomorrow. I took the day off from work. The thought of going back to the salt mines after a day of travel just was not appealing to me… of course going to work at all lately has not been appealing to me, but that’s beside the point. If the weather is nice I’m going to go hang out at the barn with my horse for a few hours and just not think about work. Things will be better if I can do that… I’ve got to get a movie seen this weekend. I’m jones-ing for some time in a dark theatre. Granted, there really hasn’t been anything out that I’ve wanted to watch, but I’d like to see “Constantine” and “Ong-Bak,” and since I’m missing the screening of “Cursed” tonight, I’d like to get that seen at some point as well. I’ve missed the last few Michael movies that have come out and even though he’s really not in this one all that much I still feel obligated to check it out. Besides, I like werewolf flicks and generally like Christina Ricci so this one might not be too bad. Maybe I’ll get something seen on Saturday. I guess I’ll just have to see how the weekend goes. The Oscars are on Sunday so that’s what I’ll be watching that night... Nothing much else is going on. I needed something to do on the plane and felt the need to ramble a bit so that’s what you get in this post. A hodge-podge of my random thoughts. Just what you always wanted, huh? “Smallville” wasn’t too bad last night. Michael was in it a fair bit for a change and Lois was nowhere to be seen, both good things. They really need to continue with the storyline of the quest for the crystals. It’s been about the only interesting plot point this season. Now that Lana has one, and Clark has one, I’m guessing that eventually Lex will end up with the third. That could prove interesting. However, based on the commercial for next week it looks like we’re back in Lois territory again. Ick :P How hard could it have been to find a decent actress to play Lois Lane? There have to be better choices out there. They had the good sense to cast Michael, and I like Kristen Kruek, so the casting people have to have some clue as to what they're doing. Oh well, I can’t bring myself to stop watching the show. The brief glimpses we get of Lex make up for all the other crap that has been going on this season (in my book anyway), but admittedly I’m a little biased when it comes to all things Lex. I do need to run up to my desk when I get back to the office and submit my expense report for this little excursion to the Midwest. My boss told me it has to be turned in by tomorrow and since I’m not working tomorrow, that necessitates me getting it done today. Not really what I wanted to do, but the sooner I get this $800 plane ticket paid back, the happier I will be... Well, we’re making our approach into the ATL so I guess I need to pack up the green Alienware now. I’ll post this later when I have access to an Internet connection again. Did I mention how glad I am to be coming home?

9:45 PM - Back Home - The approach into Atlanta turned out to be interesting. There were some heavy patchy clouds and I guess our pilot thought that spiraling in would be a good way to avoid some of them. He did this nifty downward spiral that I thought was a lot of fun, but seemed to scare the hell out of some of the other passengers. It reminded me of an old "Calvin and Hobbes" where Calvin was day dreaming that he was a pilot and was doing barrel rolls in an airliner. Now that would have been something :)

"We are all longing to go home to some place we have never been — a place half-remembered and half-envisioned we can only catch glimpses of from time to time. Community. Somewhere, there are people to whom we can speak with passion without having the words catch in our throats. Somewhere a circle of hands will open to receive us, eyes will light up as we enter, voices will celebrate with us whenever we come into our own power." -- Starhawk

No comments: