Thursday, January 13, 2005

Blueberry Donut Holes

I've been craving blueberry donut holes for 2 days now. Dammit...

On a totally unrelated note, I saw "Elektra" at a screening on Tuesday night. I was very, very disappointed. The film was well cast. (Kirsten Proust in particular was very good.) Jennifer Garner has always seemed like a good choice for this character in my mind. She was one of the few highlights of "Daredevil." I loved the trailer for this film. It had such potential. How is it that people continue to fuck up superhero movies? Have the studios learned nothing from "Spider-man" and "The X-Men?" (And hell, throw "The Incredibles" into the mix too. It may be the best superhero movie ever. Just 'cause it's animated shouldn't keep it off the list...) That's how to make comic book movies. It can be done! They should not be that hard to make and Elektra is a cool character with a cool story. This movie could have fucking rocked! But it didn't. It was slow. The fight scenes were badly edited. The effects were second rate, especially for a film with the kind of budget that I'm sure this one had. It may be better than "Daredevil." I'm not quite sure which one I liked less. "Daredevil" at least had Colin Farrell and some kickass action sequences. The more I think about "Elektra" the less I like it. I guess I should have known when Jason Isaacs died less than 10 minutes into the film that there were huge problems ahead...

Let's just hope "Batman Begins" and "Sin City" don't have similar problems. (I don't hold out much hope for the "Fantastic Four" film.) If nothing else, at least BB has Christian Bale going for it, so that's a start...

"Living is strife and torment, disappointment and love and sacrifice, golden sunsets and black storms. I said that some time ago, and today I do not think I would add one word." -- Sir Laurence Olivier

No comments: