Tuesday, November 23, 2004

National Lampoon's Thanksgiving Vacation

Atlanta – 10:46 AM - So I’m sitting in the Crown Room at the Atlanta airport waiting on my flight to the lovely metropolis of Tulsa, OK. My trip has barely started yet and OMFG! Every year I say I will NEVER travel with the ‘rents again and yet somehow, year after year I seem to make the pilgrimage to Joplin with them. I need to start leaving the day before they do and coming back the day after. It’s not like I don’t have enough eTime built up at work to take a couple of extra days off. It’s not that I don’t get along with my mom and my step-dad. I do. They’re good people, but they are a pain in the ass to travel with. They bicker back and forth about stupid shit and it makes me fucking crazy… and that’s on a good travel day. God forbid something should go wrong. That could be the stuff nightmares are made of. I’ve gotten pretty good at tuning them out most of the time, but I still manage to get sucked into the occasional conversation (usually about directions on how to get somewhere). I’m on vacation. If I wanted to argue with people I would have stayed home and worked, ya know?

I am however; glad to be getting the hell out of the ATL for a few days. The weather here is really screwy right now. It’s still rainy and ugly but now it’s like 70 freakin’ degrees out. I also really, really need the break from work… I should head out to my gate shortly, but Delta’s internet connection appears to be down so it looks like I’ll need to post this once I get to Joplin

Joplin – 8:39 PM (Central Time) – So after an hour + delay in Atlanta we finally got underway. The flight to Tulsa is about an hour and a half and was uneventful. My brother, Mike flew in from Bozeman, MT and met us at the Tulsa airport. We picked up the rental car and headed to MO. The weather was really ugly, not cold yet but lots of rain and fog. Riding in a car with my mom driving is never fun, especially in the rain. She seems to think the rest of the drivers on the road are psychic and know what the hell she is trying to do. She is convinced that turn signals are optional equipment and that rental cars are not equipped with them. It’s always an experience. She only tried to kill us once and we managed to arrive in Joplin unscathed. It’s good to be here. I love seeing my nephews and I don’t get to spend nearly enough time with my sister during the year so I always look forward to my annual Thanksgiving visit.

I don’t really have any good travel-related quotes to use, so I’ll just pull a random one from my “Good Girls…” book. I kinda like this one from Cher:

“A girl can wait for the right man to come along but in the meantime that doesn’t mean she can’t have a wonderful time with all the wrong men.”

No comments: