Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Baking Under the Influence

Not much to report today. I woke up to snow. It died off by late morning, but still snow is snow. Mostly I just sorta hung out with the family. It was very non-stressful and non-stressful is always good in my book...

Over the past few years my sister Shannon and I have come to be in charge of desserts for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a task we sorta brought upon ourselves. When Shannon first moved to Missouri she was not allowed to bring anything to the dinner. Her first year she was in charge of celery. The next year I showed up to the shindig and we decided to stage a dessert coup. We just made whatever the hell we wanted and brought it along. Fuck everyone else if they decided not to eat it. Well, Shannon is a hell of a cook and I'm pretty good when properly supervised (i.e. when someone keeps an eye on me and makes me follow the recipe and not improvise too much). After that first hostile take over things just kinda snowballed. Our desserts went over huge and so now 8 years later, her husband's family has just thrown all the responsibility for them to us. My specialty is a chocolate, bourbon pecan pie. Not to brag or anything, but it is to die for. I am not the domestic-goddess type in even the remotest sense of the word, but this pie is the one thing that I can make. It honestly might be better than sex... some sex anyway :) Needless to say, we make at least one of those every year. So Shannon and I got most of our baking out of the way this afternoon, which is pretty impressive considering that we started drinking Kahlua Mudslides shortly after we started. It's amazing how quickly the afternoon went by. We were pretty amused with ourselves by the time we were done. Our brother Mike found us much less funny than we found ourselves. He apparently does not like to have pie dough thrown at him. Go figure. All-in-all a fun afternoon. I love this time of year.

"A lot of men get very funny about women drinking: They don't really like it. Well, I'm sorry lads, but if we didn't get pissed, most of you would never get a shag." -- Jenny Eclair

No comments: