Saturday, October 01, 2005

Crash and Burn

The insomnia I have been battling all week finally came to a screeching halt at about 8:15 tonight when all of a sudden a wave of sleepiness hit me like a fucking freight train. Not one to question my good fortune, I turned off the TV, shut off my lights, and climbed into bed. I slipped into beautiful, peaceful sleep... which was abruptly interrupted at 10:21 when my phone started ringing. (My own stupid fault for not shutting it off.) It was a friend of mine having a little breakdown. No matter where I go, no matter what I do, I always seem to end up as Therapy-girl. I guess people figure that as fucked up as my life gets sometimes, I must know what the hell to do when their life comes crashing down around them. Let me clear that little urban legend up right now. I don't. I really, REALLY don't. I'm a helluv a good listener, but most of the time I suck at giving advice... especially when it comes to relationships. So of course my friend's little drama this evening was relationship related... but fortunately for him it was territory I could cover. He was having a problem with his psycho ex and lemme tell you, I'm an expert in dealing with psycho ex's... So we talked and he seemed much less freaked out by the time I got off the phone with him, which is good... Don't get me wrong. I don't mind being there for my friends when they need me. (Although I'm constantly mystified as to why people would put their faith and trust in an unstable freak like me.) But of course now I'm wide, fucking awake. Grrr... Argh... Tonight the timing was just bad. I've had a pounding migraine for most of the day. It's partially hormonal, and partially the result of my recent lack of sleep. I have a Vicodin in my medicine cabinet just screaming my name right now, but I don't want to have to resort to that... I should have told him that the price for his impromptu little therapy session was that he had to come over here and pull my hair... Yes, I definitely should have told him that... That would be a beautiful thing right now... Maybe I should call him back...

"How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads; to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams." --Bram Stoker

No comments: