Saturday, September 03, 2005

Where There's Smoke...

It's been an all around disconcerting kinda day. It started last night about 3AM. There was something lurking out there in the dark and I honestly don't know what it was. Casper was going nuts outside and Roland was sitting at the door doing that deep-throated growling thing that German Shepherds do so well. At first I thought maybe there was an earthquake coming. Animals tend to behave strangely before one; they can sense them approaching in a way us lowly humans cannot. Then I heard something outside. Something big out in the brush. I turned on the floodlights. Casper came bounding up the stairs and sat on my porch growling. There was definitely an animal out there. I caught a glimpse of whatever it was, but then it was gone. It was probably a mountian lion, but they usually don't come this close to the house, so honestly I don't know what the fuck it was. Needless to say, sleep was elusive for the the rest of the night. Talk about some scary ass dreams... This morning I found myself in Santa Monica. Now I know I said I was going to avoid SM this weekend, but it was for a good cause and I had S-boy along with me, so I went. We helped out for a couple of hours taking donations for the hurricane relief effort. It was time well spent, but I hereby renew my vow not to go to Santa Monica anymore... Tonight I'm a little concerned for my own well-being. Just as it started to get dark I noticed this weird fog coming up over one of the hills behind the house. Turns out it wasn't fog. It was smoke. I can smell it now. It smells like one of those wood-burning stoves and should be conjuring up happy images of cold winter nights in front of the fire. Sadly that's not the case. Out here that is not a comforting smell. It usually signals the approach of a wild fire. It's dark now and fortunately I don't see any telltale glow along the ridgeline. The dogs both seem calm. I also have not seen any helicopters or heard any sirens so I'm not overly concerned... yet. Still, I have a bag packed and I'm going to keep Roland close to the house just in case the wind shifts or something and we have to leave in a hurry... So, it's proving to be an interesting start to the holiday weekend. Well, I never said my life was normal... Fuck it. Normal is boring. Call me crazy, but I like living out here on the edge. It keeps life interesting :)

"I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place. I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mistake that led to a mess." -- Angelina Jolie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stay Safe!