Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Burn, Baby, Burn

There is a serious downside to my wonderful Santa Ana winds. Wildfires. Living in the canyons is always an adventure, but during fire season it can be downright scary. The winds last night started a blaze in Chatsworth which is about 25 miles from me. Then there were 2 others which popped up elsewhere in the Southland later in the day. Firefighters got them contained initially and there have been no mandatory evacuations as of yet, but they are all still burning at this hour, and for the next few months this is going to be an ongoing concern. The canyon I live in avoided the huge rash of fires that tore through the area last season. Let’s hope and pray that we are equally fortunate this year… So I called Verizon this morning to find out why the hell no one showed up to fix my line on Tuesday. Get this. A repair tech claimed he showed up at my place at 10AM, there was no one here, he checked my line to the box on my apartment, it worked fine, he left a note on my door, and left. Bullshit. I was here watching TV from 7:30AM to almost 1:00PM (thankfully the Sci-Fi channel was doing a “Firefly” marathon), and no tech showed up here. I have glass doors on my apartment. There was no way I would have missed him unless he was the Invisible fucking Man. Needless to say I was pissed and the rep I got this morning was properly appalled when I told her the whole long saga of what I have been dealing with since Friday. So it finally took me talking to that rep (who was actually very helpful), a supervisor (who was not), and ultimately the VP of Repair Services (who the stupid supe blind transferred me to. Wanna bet she got her ass chewed out for that?) But whatever. Once I got a VP involved you better believe they got a repair tech out to my place in short order and the end result is that I have phone service again and that they have credited my bill for a month… The best part of my day was that one of my favorite Texans showed up at work today. He and I had discussed going to dinner tonight, but he had something come up and couldn’t go. So he came by bearing a single yellow rose as a sorta peace offering. He admitted that he finds roses cliché, but yellow roses are a Texas thing, so he felt he could get away with it. I was quick to let him know that had he not been a Texan I would have had to tell him that A) I’m not a big fan of roses and B) I hate the color yellow, but I totally get the symbolism of getting a yellow rose from a Texan and that makes it one of the coolest gestures ever :) I’ve decided this guy is a figment of my imagination. There’s no way he’s real… So that was my day. Mostly, I’m glad to have my phone back… and “Lost” was great tonight. Next week looks to be really good too… Less than 24 hours till “Smallville.” Woo Hoo! Ok, so I’m a dork. I admit it. It’s not like it’s a secret at this point…

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable." -- Bruce Lee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats a great quote !!