Friday, July 01, 2005

Orson Would Be Proud

So I saw Steven's remake of "War of the Worlds" on Wednesday night. I admit, I went in with very high hopes for this film. In many ways it lived up to my expectations. Tom Cruise was very good. Tim Robbins was as well. Dakota Fanning was amazing. That is one seriously talented little girl. This movie was typical Spielberg. It had his "look" to it and hearkened back to "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." It was creepy and disturbing and I found myself really freaked out during several scenes. Now that's the sign of a great movie; when it creates an actual primal reaction in it's audience. The only thing I found disappointing was the ending. It was just missing something. It was anti-climactic and predictable and a little too sappy, especially in comparison to the rest of the film. Even so, it didn't ruin the movie or anything. The rest of the film was just too strong; too well done for the weak ending to deter from the whole. I highly recommend it. Sci-Fi fans everywhere will not be disappointed.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." - Orson Welles

No comments: