Monday, February 21, 2005

OOOOOOOOklahoma....

After much ado I finally arrived in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. My flight was about 2 hours late taking off and since we got to the airport about 2 hours before our flight was supposed to leave, that meant 4 hours at Gate D26. At least I had brought a book to read. It was kinda hard to concentrate what with an obnoxious, screaming kid and his even more obnoxious parents giving the Delta gate agent a hard time, but I eventually managed to tune it all out and continue my quest for the Dark Tower... Nothing exciting to report from the Heartland. It was dark when we got into town, so Bartlesville looks like pretty much any and every other suburban town you might happen to wander through on a road trip. Fortunately road trips usually carry you through these boring little hamlets. I'm not so lucky. I'm trapped here until Thursday. There isn't even a Starbucks in this town. What the hell is up with that? Do they really want to see what happens to me without my daily caffeine fix? It's not a pretty thing.... And of course I'm flipping through channels when I get to my hotel room and hit the Kevin Kline movie, "Dave." Want to guess what song he sings in the first 5 minutes? You got it. "Oklahoma." As if that fucking song wasn't stuck in my head already, he had to go and remind me of it. Just perfect... I'm really not in as bitchy a mood as this post makes me sound. I'm just tired, I didn't want to come on this trip, and I left some unresolved issues back in the ATL. Oh well. I've always been good at running away from problems so this time I actually have a legitimate excuse for the running. Work made me do it... See, it just goes to show that work is the bane of my existance :) I don't have any good quotes about Oklahoma. I looked for one. I really did... So instead I'll have to make due with one from Stephen King...

"A heartless creature is a loveless creature, and a loveless creature is a beast. To be a beast is perhaps bearable, although the man who has become one will surely pay hell's own price in the end, but what if you should gain your object? If there is naught but darkness in your heart, what could you do but degenerate from beast to monster? To gain one's object as a beast would only be bitterly comic, like giving a magnifying glass to an elephaunt. But to gain one's object as a monster... To pay hell is one thing. But do you want to own it?" -- Stephen King - "The Drawing of the Three"

No comments: