Sunday, January 16, 2005

Drink-and-Dial

I found myself sitting in a bar in Buckhead two nights in a row. How the fuck did that happen? I haven't been out in Buckhead in forever and yet there I was. Friday night and Saturday night. I must have lost my mind... again....
Here's the story. Lindy and I have this friend, Shawn who owns a bar down there called "Robert's." It's a cool little place and it's not crazy busy and populated with bubble-headed blondes who can't seem to afford to buy clothes for themselves and so have to go out half naked. Basically not your typical Buckhead bar. It's just a good place to hang out and drink (and as it turns out a good place to play some poker too.)
Friday was a bad day for me. I lost a good friend of mine and spent the day vacillating back and forth between anger and sadness. Come Saturday afternoon, I had slipped firmly into denial and by Saturday night really just wanted to drink myself into oblivion. So I did. Friday night I didn't drink much. Saturday was a whole different story. I honestly don't know how much I drank. I kept finding beverages in front of me and so I continued to consume them. Walking became an issue so I stopped attempting it. My speech skills left me shortly thereafter. I do remember that at one point I proudly announced, "I feel like a duck!" What the ??? I have no idea what that means, so don't even ask... At some point around midnight I decided it was time to start calling people to share in my little intoxication adventure. I called two of my favorite men and left what I'm sure were very entertaining voice-mails for them... of course at that point I was probably speaking in tongues so the messages may have made no sense at all. Who knows? Certainly not me. I'm sure they will fill me in. (Hey Michael - I vaguely remember mentioning a trip to Vegas this week. I may still be going, so lemme know :)
I don't feel as bad this morning as I would have predicted. My brain feels heavy and a little fuzzy and I'm moving at about 3/4 speed, but normally after a night like that I feel like I've been hit by a fucking bus. So woo hoo! for that at least. Anyway it was a fucked up kinda couple of days... I'm going to go have some Advil for breakfast and spend the rest of my day consuming vast quantities of SmartWater. Hopefully by this afternoon I'll be fully functional again.

"What stops you killing yourself when you're intoxicated out of your mind is the thought that once you're dead you won't be able to drink anymore." -- Marguerite Duras

No comments: