Thursday, October 21, 2004

It's All About Jude

I went to a screening of Jude Law's new film, "Alfie" last night. This guy works almost as much as Johnny Depp. He's got like 8 films out this year or something and I'm sooooo not complaining. Like JohnnyDepp, Jude is pretty to look at, and he's a surprisingly good actor as well. He has to be to pull off a film like "Alfie." He is literally in every scene and he is mesmerizing. Part of it is that voice, part of it is those eyes, and part of it is this sort of indefineable charisma. The guy is just totally fucking charming, even when he's being an asshole. That's a hard combination to pull off and still have your audience like you while you're doing it. And don't get me wrong, for most of the film, Alfie is sort of a manipulative asshole. He has his good points, but basically he's a gigolo who tells women what they want to hear in order to get them into bed. Not to give anything away, but one of the best things about the movie is the ending. Although he does see the error of his ways to some extent, things don't neccesarily work out for Alfie in a traditional, Hollywood ending kinda way. (I admittedly have not seen the original from 1966 with Michael Caine, but I'm curious to watch it now to see if the ending is similar.) The rest of the cast are mostly glorified cameos. I come and go on wether or not I like Susan Sarandon, but I thought she did a great job in this film. I see a bit of my future self in her character, so maybe that had something to do with it. Still, the reason to see this film is Jude Law. It is hands down one of his best performances. Alfie opens on 11/05.

No comments: