Tuesday, September 28, 2004

How Much Blood...

Got an invite from Nick to a screening of the new indie horror flick, "Saw" last night. I've really been looking forward to this film for a couple of months now. The international release posters showed up online and they were fairly gruesome, so being a fan of serial killer films, I saw potential here. The film totally delivered. The 2 guys who wrote it (and directed and starred) were at the screening and hung out and talked (and drank) with everyone afterwards. It was great hearing them discuss the journey they went through to get this film made. I just have to say, they are a couple of really lucky bastards. (Ok, and talented too... Dammit I have got to start writing again.) Anyway, the script is great and the film keeps you guessing the whole time. It is definitely not a typical Hollywood film and I see it becoming a cult fave to horror fans. The film had some talent in it (Danny Glover, Cary Elwes, Monica Potter), but they were all outshone by co-writer and star Leigh Whannell. I like Cary Elwes a lot, but Leigh stole every scene from him. I see this guy getting some big parts down the road. Release date for "Saw" is 10/24 and I think it will surprise a lot of people with how well it's going to do at the box office. We haven't seen a serial killer movie like this since "Se7en."

No comments: