Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Collateral State

So, I didn't quite make my overly ambitious goal of getting 6 movies done in 4 days. Oh well. Hopefully this weekend. There's nothing new opening that's worth seeing so that gives me additional time to pick up the ones I missed. I did get "Collateral" and "Garden State" seen. "Collateral" rocked. Tom looks hot with gray hair and he's a bad ass bad guy. I'm not normally a Jamie Foxx fan, but he did a good job as well. It was not totally predictable and all-in-all was definitely worth the price of admission.

What more is there to say about "Garden State?" This was my third trip home with Zach and honestly I find something new to enjoy every time I go. This is a truly phenomenal film. All the comparisons have already been made to things like "The Graduate" and to someone who has not seen the film, that may seem like a ballsy thing to say. It's not. "Garden State" IS that kind of a film. The way "The Graduate" spoke for the children of the late-60's and "The Breakfast Club" defined high school in the mid-80's, "Garden State" embodies a new generation's transition into the 21st century. The first time I saw it, I knew I loved the film, but admittedly was swayed by Zach's passion for the project. The second time through it truly began to hit me that I was watching something special; a film that needed to win awards and that I have recommended to everyone I know (and a few strangers even). Now, this third time, I realize that this film is not only special, but it is timeless. Iconic even. Ten, twenty, thirty years from now I think this is the film that everyone will look back on and say that it truly described who we are at this moment in our lives and
at this moment in history. It is unique, and as anyone who has seen the film will tell you, that is a beautiful thing...



No comments: